32. Dorfman, S. M., S. Najiba, B. Arroyo, S. Theuer, M. Lv and B. L. Brugman, “Control of deviatoric stress in the diamond anvil cell through thermal expansion mismatch stress in thin films,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals (2022), 49:16.
31. Frost, D. A., M. S. Avery, B. A. Buffett, X. Chen, B. A. Chidester, J. Deng, S. M. Dorfman, Z. Li, L. Liu, M. Lv, and J. F. Martin, “Multidisciplinary constraints on the thermal-chemical boundary between Earth’s core and mantle,” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 23 (2022), e2021GC009764.
30. Brugman, B.L., F. Lin, M. Lv, C. Kenney-Benson, D. Popov, L. Miyagi, and S. M. Dorfman, “Strength, deformation and equation of state of tungsten carbide to 66 GPa,” Acta Materialia 220 (2021), 117301.
29. Dorfman, S. M., F. Nabiei, Ch. Ed. Boukaré, V. B. Prakapenka, M. Cantoni, J. Badro and P. Gillet, “Composition and Pressure Effects on Partitioning of Ferrous Iron in the Iron-rich Lower Mantle Heterogeneities,” Minerals 11(5) (2021), 512.
28. Wang, W., J. Liu, F. Zhu, M. Li, Z. Wu, S. M. Dorfman, and J. Li, “Formation of large low shear velocity provinces through decomposition of oxidized mantle,” Nature Communications 12 (2021), 1911.
See also MSU College of Natural Sciences feature, “Rusting rock may explain two of Earth’s deepest mysteries.”
27. Lv, M., S. M. Dorfman, J. Badro, S. Borensztajn, E. Greenberg, and V. B. Prakapenka, “Reversal of carbonate-silicate cation exchange in cold slabs in Earth’s lower mantle,” Nature Communications 12 (2021), 1712.
See also MSU College of Natural Sciences feature, “Reading between the diamonds: MSU scientists expand deep carbon story.” (also featured in MSU News, and as an APS Highlight)
26. Calderon, M., W. Peng, S. M. Clarke, J. Ding, B. L. Brugman, G. Levental, A. Balodh, M. Rylko, O. Delaire, J. P. S. Walsh, S. M. Dorfman, and A. Zevalkink, “Anisotropic structural collapse of Mg3Sb2 at high pressure,” Chemistry of Materials 33, no. 2 (2021), 567–573 .
25. Wang, W., J. Liu, H. Yang, S. M. Dorfman, M. Lv, J. Li, F. Zhu, J. Zhao, M. Y. Hu, W. Bi, E. E. Alp, Y. Xiao, Z. Wu, and J.-F. Lin, “Iron Force Constants of Bridgmanite at High Pressure: Implications for Iron Isotope Fractionation in Deep Mantle,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 294 (February 2021), 215-231.
24. Lv, M., J. Liu, F. Zhu, J. Li, D. Zhang, Y. Xiao, and S. M. Dorfman, “Spin transitions and compressibility of ε-Fe7N3 and γ’-Fe4N: implications for iron alloys in terrestrial planet cores,” Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth 125, no. 11 (2020), e2020JB020660.
23. Tian, D., M. Lv, S. S. Wei, S. M. Dorfman, and P. M. Shearer, “Global variations of the 520- and 560-km discontinuities,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 552 (2020), 116600.
22. Lv, M., J. Liu, V. B. Prakapenka and S. M. Dorfman, “Thermal equation of state of post-aragonite CaCO3 up to 85 GPa and 2500 K,” American Mineralogist 105, no. 9 (September 2020), pgs. 1365-1374.
21. Dorfman, S. M., V. Potapkin, M. Lv, E. Greenberg, I. Kupenko, A. I. Chumakov, W. Bi, E. E. Alp, J. Liu, A. Magrez, J. Badro, S. E. Dutton, R. J. Cava, C. A. McCammon, P. Gillet, “Effects of composition and pressure on electronic states of iron in bridgmanite,” American Mineralogist 105, no. 7 (July 2020), pgs. 1030-1039.
20. McCammon, C. A., H. Bureau, H. J. Cleaves, E. Cottrell, S. M. Dorfman, L. H. Kellogg, J. Li, S. Mikhail, Y. Moussallam, C. Sanloup, A. Thompson, and A. V. Brovarone, “Deep Earth Carbon Reactions Through Time and Space,” Earth in Five Reactions Special Collection, American Mineralogist 105, no. 1 (January 2020), pgs. 22-27.
19. Liu, J., S. M. Dorfman, M. Lv, J. Li, and Y. Kono, “Loss of immiscible fluid from Fe-rich metallic melt explains Earth’s missing nitrogen,” Geochemical Perspectives Letters 11 (2019), pgs. 18-22.
18. Straley, E. M., S. M. Dorfman, and J. D. Nicholas, “Correlation between the Wafer Curvature and Fluorescence of Pulsed Laser Deposited Ruby Thin Films Stressed to ~2 GPa,” Journal of Applied Physics 125, no. 24 (2019), 245904.
17. Liu, J., S. M. Dorfman, F. Zhu, J. Li, Y. Wang, D. Zhang, Y. Xiao, W. Bi and E. E. Alp, “Valence and spin states of iron are invisible in Earth’s lower mantle,” Nature Communications 9 (2018), 1284.
See also MSU News feature, “Mantle minerals offer clues to deep Earth’s composition.”
16. Dorfman, S. M., J. Badro, F. Nabiei, V. B. Prakapenka, M. Cantoni, and P. Gillet, “Carbonate stability in the reduced lower mantle,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 489 (1 May 2018), pgs 84-91.
See also Deep Carbon Observatory feature, “Earth’s Core-Mantle Boundary May Be Decorated in Marble and Diamonds.”
15. Dorfman, S. M., S. E. Dutton, V. Potapkin, A. I. Chumakov, J.-P. Rueff, P. Chow, Y. Xiao, R. J. Cava, T. S. Duffy, C. A. McCammon, and P. Gillet, “Electronic transitions of iron in almandine-composition glass to 91 GPa,” American Mineralogist 101, no. 7 (July 2016), pgs. 1659-1667.
14. Zhang, Z., S. M. Dorfman, J. Labidi, S. Zhang, M. M. Li, M. Manga, L. Stixrude, W. McDonough and Q. Williams, “Primordial metallic melt in the deep mantle,” Geophysical Research Letters 43, no. 8 (28 April 2016), pgs. 3693-3699.
See also: “Managing metal the core left behind” by B. Grocholski, Science 352, no. 6291 (10 June 2016), pg. 1290.
13. Dorfman, S. M. “Phase Diagrams and Thermodynamics of Lower Mantle Materials,” in Deep Earth: Physics and Chemistry of the Lower Mantle and Core, ed. H. Terasaki and R. Fischer, AGU Geophysical Monograph Series (April 2016).
12. Dorfman, S. M., J. Badro, J.-P. Rueff, P. Chow, Y. Xiao and P. Gillet, “Composition dependence of spin transition in (Mg,Fe)SiO3 bridgmanite,” American Mineralogist 100, no. 10 (October 2015), pgs. 2246-2253.
See also: Highlights and Breakthroughs feature “A spin on lower mantle mineralogy” by J. S. Pigott, American Mineralogist 101 (January 2016), pgs.1-2.
11. Dorfman, S. M., S. R. Shieh and T. S. Duffy, “Strength and texture of Pt compressed to 63 GPa,” Journal of Applied Physics 117 (2015), 065901.
10. Dong, H., S. M. Dorfman, J. Wang, D. He and T. S. Duffy, “The Strength of Ruby from X-ray Diffraction under Nonhydrostatic Compression to 68 GPa,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 41, no. 7 (July 2014), pgs. 527-535.
9. Dorfman, S. M. and T. S. Duffy, “Effect of Fe-enrichment on seismic properties of perovskite and post-perovskite in the deep lower mantle,” Geophysical Journal International 197, no. 2 (1 May 2014), pgs. 910-919.
8. Dong, H., S. M. Dorfman, C. Holl, Y. Meng, P. Dera, D. He and T. S. Duffy, “Compression of Lithium Fluoride to 92 GPa,” High Pressure Research 34, no. 1 (2014), pgs. 39-48.
7. Dorfman, S. M., Y. Meng, V. B. Prakapenka and T. S. Duffy, “Effects of Fe-Enrichment on the Equation of State and Stability of (Mg,Fe)SiO3 Perovskite,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 361 (1 January 2013), pgs. 249-257.
6. Dorfman, S. M., S. R. Shieh, Y. Meng, V. B. Prakapenka, and T. S. Duffy. “Synthesis and equation of state of perovskites in the (Mg,Fe)3Al2Si3O12 system to 177 GPa.” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 357-358 (1 December 2012), pgs. 194-202.
5. Dorfman, S. M., V. B. Prakapenka, Y. Meng and T. S. Duffy, “Intercomparison of pressure standards (Au, Pt, NaCl, MgO, and Ne) to 2.5 Mbar,” Journal of Geophysical Research 117, no. B8 (30 August 2012), B08210.
4. Dong, H., S. M. Dorfman, Y. Chen, H. Wang, J. Wang, J. Qin, D. He and T. S. Duffy, “Compressibility and Strength of Nanocrystalline Tungsten Boride under Compression to 60 GPa,” Journal of Applied Physics 111, no. 12 (15 June 2012), 123514.
3. Shieh, S. R., S. M. Dorfman, A. Kubo, V. B. Prakapenka and T. S. Duffy, “Synthesis and Equation of State of Post-Perovskites in the Mg,Fe)3Al2Si3O12 system,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 312, no. 3-4 (15 December 2011), pgs. 422-428.
2. Mao, Z., S. M. Dorfman, S. R. Shieh, J. F. Lin, V. B. Prakapenka, Y. Meng, and T. S. Duffy. “Equation of state of a high-pressure phase of Gd3Ga5O12.” Physical Review B 83, no. 5 (24 February 2011), 054114.
1. Dorfman, S. M., F. Jiang, Z. Mao, A. Kubo, Y. Meng, V. B. Prakapenka, and T. S. Duffy. “Phase transitions and equations of state of alkaline earth fluorides CaF2, SrF2, and BaF2 to Mbar pressures.” Physical Review B 81, no. 17 (27 May 2010), 174121.